Thursday, June 26, 2008

Reaching out...

Hi all!

Sorry it has been a while since I´ve written. Time is starting to fly by now that I am a bit more comfortable with the routine and casa. It is hard to believe I have been here for over 2 weeks and I have less than 2 weeks remaining!

Yesterday was a very successful day for me. I had the opportunity to meet with Joana, the coordinator of the casa who is in charge of the señoritas and children. In retrospect, I should have met with her when I first arrived, but things were quite chaotic and I was under the impression that the temporary volunteer coordinator had already spoken with Joana. As you konw, I came here with the intention of helping children with communicaiton needs. Instead, I was helping the children with all sorts of daily activities, which is fine, but I felt like I wasn´t able to contribute in my area of specialization. Well, things have changed.

Turns out that Joana thought I was just here to volunteer, and she did not that I am a speech therapist and I that I want to work with individuals with communication and swallowing disorders. Talk about an overall misunderstanding and lack of communication! The emails I exchanged prior to coming were with this woman Sophie, who is in France, and she never mentioned or forwarded my emails to Joana or Gil. She just mentioned that I was coming! Well, at least I´ve got 2 weeks left to hopefully help a little.

I am working on a better feeding plan for one of the children with cerebal palsy, Yacner. They were previously feeding him by laying flat on his back because when sitting completely upright he spits much of the food out. He isn´t able to close his mouth at rest, nor with the assistance of a hand. He also has congestion and fluid and the lungs. The risk of aspiration while lying down is huge for anyone and the risk is even greater for a child who has little muscle tone and control and slow reflexes! Yacner seems to be benefiting from the new position I´ve tried. Not only is it less work for him, but less work for those in the casa as well.

I went to speech therapy with Sheyla today. To be honest, I was shocked they even had therapy of any sort, but they do offer occupational, speech and physical. They only began offering it within the last couple of years. The speech therapist, Neida, was a very sweet lady. She informed me that there is no professional training per say to do speech therapy here. She has taken some classes in Lima and done some research, but lacks the formal education as well as materials. She was very excited that I came and I am going to be in contact with her when I leave. I intend on sending her some Spanish materials to use with the children.

So, I came back from therapy and there was a Peruvian t.v. station filming at the house. They interviewed many of the workers and a few volunteers and filmed me working with one of the children. It will be posted on the web on Wednesday or Thursday. Go to the following website:

http://www.americatv.com.pe/ and on the bottom of the screen, click on CUARTO PODER

Please excuse my disheveled appearance! I was very nervous to be filmed speaking Spanish. Thankfully most of you don´t speak Spanish so you´ll have no ida what I said, but you´ll at least be able to see me on Peruvian t.v. and the children I am working with!

I hope all is well! I will keep you posted on any updates!

Love,
Lauren

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't find your video on the Spanish website! Where do I look to find it? Love to hear the updates Lauren....keep up the good work!
Love ya,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Your pictures look awesome and I know that they are so happy to have you out there helping out. I love reading your little stories about what is going on. Glad to hear your doing well and that you are changing these children's lives each and every day that you are out there with them. Keep doing what your doing. Your doing an awesome job!
~Merril~

P.S.
I cant find the video either :(

Lauren Oksiuta said...

it won´t be up until wednesday or thursday, so check then. i will write something about it then, too, to remind all of you. i was really nervous!

thanks for reading my jargon and nonsense. i love you both and miss you!

Michelle Pobar Oh said...

Hello my love! It's so great to hear all of these amazing things you are doing. I can't wait to see the video. Thinking of you and can't wait to hear more.

xxxooxox

M