Well, I experienced my first and probably only Peruvian Father´s Day yesterday. It was my duty to work with los grandes from 2 til 8 p.m. Although they are called the grandes, they aren´t exactly such, ranging from ages 6 to 18. This is such a diverse group of children with some being slightly mentally challenged, others defiant, and a few as sweet as can be.
The Father´s day celebration was to begin at 2, when my shift started, but as most hispanic countries can be characterized, things never really start on time. Gil, the founder of the casa whom the children refer to as ´papa Gil´ sat in a chair in the center of the patio and the volunteers in addition to the children sat in a circle around him. The children memorized some songs and others recited poems. It was so special despite the intermittent disciplining of a few young boys. After the children presented their gifts to Gil, they played a game of musical chairs and we all enjoyed some torta (cake) and the adults got to enjoy some wine. I haven´t had any wine in a while, and let me tell you... it was absolutely delicious.
Unbeknownst to me, or the children, we were told there was a ´suprise´and we were to meet at the entrance in 15 minutes with our shoes on. Gil had surprised the children with a special gift of a walk to the park near the Mirador and ice cream for everyone. The children were absoluely extatic. It was my duty to carry Cristopher, who you can see with me in the picture. He is the youngest in la casa. His biography says that his mother gave birth to him in a discoteca. Sounds like a rumor you´d hear in grade school, but it is true. He is the sweetest thing in the whole world.
I would have to say I really enjoyed my first experience working with the older children. I bonded with a few, but just when you think you are okay, the misbehave and hit/kick you as you try to discipline them. I understand why because they have had some terrible experiences in the few years they´ve been on this earth, but the Senoritas in the casa do not discipline them properly or follow through with it. It can be frustrating at times. One girl that I met that is already so special to me is Siliana. She is 11 and her parents are both in jail. She is extremely intelligent and has a burning desire to learn English, so we talk often. She aided me with info about some of the children, their routine they are to follow, and she taught me some new Peruvian vocabulary words. I don´t think I´d have survived without her!
All in all, my experience with the grandes was wonderful. It was so nice having actual conversations with children instead of feeding the lupes or holding them while they have seizures. I am not going to lie, there was a lot of mouthing off in there, as you´d imagine, but the conversations outweighed all the naughty talk by far.
On a side note, a strange thing happened to me yesterday.... I was enjoying some popcorn at the plaza mayor when a lady came up to me and asked if I´d take a picture with her baby. They do not see many ´gringas´here in Ayacucho and they are so excited when they do that they ask us to take pictures with their children. I don´t think I´ll ever get used to that... or the fact that they call me Barbie. I resemble the complete opposite of a Barbie doll! It makes me laugh out loud every time.
I hope you are all doing well! I am in the process of uploading some picture, but it may take a while. I will likely add them next time. They don´t exactly have high speed internet here.
I´m off to do my daily walks around el centro and be stared at. Hopefully I won´t have to pose in any pictures today. ;)
Take care! Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment