I finally arrived here safely! There were many bumps in the road, but I got here in one piece. My adventure started in Chicago where I sat on a plane next to a pediatric dentist from South Bend, Indiana. Quite ironic considering the fact that my family breeds dentists and working with children. He, along with about 30 members of his parish, were heading to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic to do mission work with GO ministries. There were a lot of young kids going as well, so it was so fulfilling to hear how excited they were about going.
The next flight, from Miami to Lima, started out warily. An announcement was made, ´´we need to pull all the bags off the plane because one belongs to a passenger who did not get on the flight.´´ An hour later, the person decdided to show up. I guess the world really does revolve around them! I was seated next to a woman, Dawn, in her mid 40´s who was heading to Cuzco, Peru for a yoga retreat. We spent much of the flight exchanging family information, and common interests. She explained to me that the flight she was supposed to be on from LA to Miami got delayed so she caught another and she was doubtful her bag made it with her. I told her of my previous baggage disaster when I traveled through Miami to Costa Rica (it was Easter and I ended up having to go rafting in my underwear.)
After a 5 hour flight we landed in Lima and trudged to the baggage claim. We patiently waited as excited patrons grabbed their bags.... but hers never came... and mine either! I must have jinxed us. Turns out over 15 people on the flight didn´t get their bags. It was utter havoc with many Peruvians screaming, ´´cabrona´´ and other mala palabras (bad words) I need not mention. It took so long to fill out the claims for lost baggage that we didn´t get done until 12:30 a.m. At that point, it wasn´t worth it to me to head back to a hostal in down town Lima and get back to the airport at 3:30 a.m. for a flight to Ayacucho, so I decided to just sleep in the airport. Much to my dismay, there were about a dozen other young back packers who had the same idea! Not only that, but it was clean and all the stores remained open 24/7.
Ironically, the flight from Lima to Ayacucho was delayed and therefore, I was able to stick around the airport while the flight from Miami came in to see if my bag magically made it on. I was cutting it close with time, when finally my bag comes off the conveyor belt. I weaved in and out of the luggage carts to the customs area, as I had to fill out yet another customs form (it was the third I had to fill out.) When I went to push the magic button which decides whether your bag gets searched or not, a red light blinked. I couldn´t believe it. What could possibly be next?
They called us to board the flight to Ayacucho at 6:30 a.m. I go outside and see this little puddle jumper with propellers. Yeah, thats right... those things you hear about that birds fly into and they the plane crashes. Or better yet, one of the planes you hear about that crashes into the mountains and the survivors eat the deceasedin order to survive. (If you don´t know what I´m talking about, google the movie Alive.) It was a plane with 12 rows and one seat on each side. It was my worst nightmare. I would have given anything to have had 6 beers before climbing aboard. Instead I put in some ear plugs and prayed continuously until we landed.... Thankfully, I did in one piece upon which a little man named Tio Julio brought me safely to the Casa.
I arrived at the Casa at about 8:00 a.m. to meet one of the volunteer coordinators and some of the volunteers. They are Belgian, French, German and English. They all speak Spanish for the most part, but all of them speak French better, so I find myself sitting around having no idea what is going on. I´ve yet to really get to know the children because I don´t start working with them until tomorrow, however one little boy sticks out in my mind, Fermin. He is 8 years old but is the size of a 3 year old, literally. He was found in the jungle living in a tree by himself eating his own feces. He is very sweet, though, and adores affection. The rest I´ve seen in passing just say, ´´¿quien eres?´´ or ´´who are you?´´ Its pretty funny... they think I am HUGE.
I hope all is well.... I will write more as I begin my volunteer work at the Casa....
WIth Love,
Lauren
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment