Friday, June 13, 2008

Meeting the Lupes

My volunteer work has begun here at the casa. I have begun with the lupes, in other words those who are severly handicapped and typically smile and enjoy noise. They are called Lupes because the first child to come to the house who was severly handicapped was named Guadalupe and to this day, they are los lupes. Of the six, four do not talk and likely never will.

I have been assigned specifically to work with Sheyla when I am with the lupes, a 4 year old who has difficulty walking and limited language output. She is able to understand much more than she is able to express and one is able to understand. She reecently had many of her baby teeth pulled due to extensive decay and this impacts how she is unerstood even more. But she is extremely sweet and throughly enjoys the vocabulary cards I have brought for her.

As for the rest of the lupes, I assist with feedings, changing of diapers, singing songs, and administering the nebulizer. It´s quite funny because my voice is far from that of an angel, but one of the children just loves it and always moves her feet and claps her hands. The senoritas who work in the casa think its hilarious. I have become a pro at changing cloth diapers, but it is probably my least favorite thing to do. Disposable diapers are a great, great thing.

I brought some special spoons to assist with feeding and they have come in handy. The children are not able to close their lips and some are not even able to move their tongue more than a centimeter or two. This has aided them in the amount of food they consume and the amount of time it takes. I am very glad I was able to help.

The schedule for volunteering changes daily. Shifts are typically 6-1, 7-1, 12-7, 12-8 or 1-7. I prefer the 7-1 shift so I can have my afternoons free to climb down the hills to go to el centro, but I don´t make the schedule.

Tomorrow I will be with the ´grandes´who are all the children who go to al ´collegio´(school.) I have heard they do not take discipline well and can be quite manipulative, so we shall see. I have been nominated to teach English to the children ages 4-8, which I have never done before. Lets hope they can at least pay attention for 15 minutes...

I forgot my camera chord to upoload pictures, so hopefully next time I will be able to do so.

With love,
Lauren

3 comments:

Margarita said...

Hi lauren.

Love the way you are telling your adventures. Reads Like a Novel. Charlie is practing his S sounds, spaghetti, spill etc. He says Thank You. I got his Game Cube cleaned and works great now. I have been working 2 weeks straight, without a day off. Can't wait till this weekend, to rest a bit. I did an Open house Sunday nad Saturday worked 12 hours at McCormick Place, watching teachers take exams. Doing summer diagnostics, going good. 1 more week and that will be done. 2 Down's symdrome kids, very cute. Went to an estate sale today with JoAnn, found some good stuff. Hope to hear from you soon. Stay safe.

Margarita- Liberty

EmilyD said...

I love reading this blog. I'm so excited to see pictures. And yes, your voice may not sound like and angel, but you are an angel to these people.

Anonymous said...

I love it Lauren! I am so happy for you and I look forward to hearing more about your trip. Stay safe and have fun...BESOS:)