Hi everyone,
This week has gone by relatively quickly. I worked quite a bit with the lupes, but with the pequeños and grandes as well. Its quite pleasing because some of the children are beginning to remember who I am, even by name. Disciplining them continues to be difficult due to the fluctuation of volunteers coming in and out of the casa. They do not abide by one plan of discipline and as a result a lack of respect from the children has become more evident.
This trip obviously leaves me with a lot of time to ponder (sometimes too much!) and analyze the culture, or at least what I have become to know of it. The children at the casa are all sponsored by individual around the world. These fees cover food, private schooling, and clothes for the children. In comparison to most Peruvian children, they are quite fortunate to have these things. I see many children in the filthy street, trying to entertain themselves as their mother or father sells fruits or garlic. The children at the casa have the necessities as well as access to an education but they lack the love of a mother and father. The children that I see in the street lack all of the things the children at the casa have, but they have a mother or father. Which situation is better? I don´t think either is... they both lack something, however one simply cannot replace the love provided by a mother or father. On the other hand, if your mother or father lacks the economic resources and education, and as a result the child suffers the reprocussions and they are stuck in the cyclical effects of poverty.
It can be frustrating at times to see how much these children take for granted. It is even more frustrating when I reflect upon myself and how much I have taken for granted because of the opportunities that have been provided to me. I can not make them realize what they have, because in their eyes they lack so much: their maternal mother and father. However all I can do is pray that one day they will do something with their lives and not repeat what their parents did to them. I hope that I can provide them with some much needed love and affection and teach them a little of the world around them. And let me tell you, when they come crawl on your lap and ask you to share something special with them, words cannot begin to express how it makes me feel.
The señoritas that work with the children are some of the most loving, dedicated people I have ever met in my life. They love unconditionally and most of them have a constant smile upon their faces. I try and reciprocate the same for them because working with them is quite a pleasure. When I spoke of our Father´s Day ice cream exipidition, I was unaware of how big of a deal it was for some of the señoritas. One in particular, has never had a packaged ice cream cone or bar. I was occupied helping feed one of the students his and this señorita insisted on sharing her very first ice cream bar with me, someone who has eaten more than her fair share. She is probably in her mid 50´s. Can you imagine that? I would love to treat these ladies all to a special day because it is much deserved. Granted, they do get paid to do what they are doing, but a price can not be put on what they deserve!
Maybe this will inspire some of you to ponder the situation here, or your life wherever you are. I can only speak on my behalf, but despite the many curve balls thrown my way and unfortunate things that can happen to us, but I know I have it very, very good.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. ;) I am off to teach some English! I will let you know how that goes!
With Love,
Lauren
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great pictures Lauren. Keep up the great work.
Love you
Ben,Pam, and Connor
What a wonderful experience Lauren. I'm sure the kids and adults there just love you. Keep updating us!
Love ya,
Lauren
Post a Comment