Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm off to Peru....

Hello everyone,



For those of you who don't know, I am heading to Ayacucho, Peru on June 10th for a 5 week volunteer commitment at the orphanage, Casa Hogar Los Gorriones. This orphanage was founded by a French couple, Gil and Chantal, and their son, Aaron. The purpose of the orphanage is to take in special needs children who are either abandoned or their parents are no longer able to take care of them. Many of the children have various disabilities and disorders, some formally diagnosed and others not so much. They include Cerebral Palsy, Selective Mutism, Down's Syndrome, and overall Emotional Disorders. (For more info see: http://www.casahogarlosgorriones.org/english/) Regardless of the diagnoses, these children are in need of help.



So why am I going you ask? I intend on providing my services as a Speech and Language Pathologist, facilitating communication and helping the children with feeding difficulties. These children have little to nothing... no family, poor education, and little formal therapy. In other words, they aren't being provided with the opportunity to live to their true potential. Although I, along with many other kindividuals who work in the world of education, help people of all ages every day, it is fresh and inspiring to help others or train and educate others to help in a country where citizens aren't granted with all the resources our country provides.



I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about going seeing as though the contact I've had with the volunteer coordinator has been limited. Tragically, the founder,Chantal, passed away this April of cancer and I would imagine things are a bit hectic and the individuals there are still mourning their loss. Regardless, I am hoping I may lend a helping hand in daily activities and specifically in my domians: communication and feeding.



I plan on writing in this blog from time to time to share my experiences, insight gained, and to help others become aware of the social, economical and physical states of a place less fortunate than ours. I want to thank in advance those that have helped me prepare for this journey including: Rick, Mom, Dad, brothers, fellow speech paths in Cicero, dear friends and all else.

May my travels to Lima and Ayacucho go safely. Til' then....

4 comments:

DPK, Reese and JJK said...

Thanks for keeping a blog. I look forward to hearing about your travels! Be safe and have fun. Love,Jess

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about it, keep us posted!
Love ya,
Lauren

Michelle Pobar Oh said...

Have an amazing time Ox! safe travels. I love you and will be thinking about you. Can't wait to hear more.
xxxooxox-M

EmilyD said...

This is soooooo awesome. I can't wait to hear about everything. You are doing such great things for these people and I really admire you for that