Hi all,
My time at the casa has officially ended. My last day was Sunday, July 6th and I departed for Cuzco on Monday, July 7th. I didn´t anticipate leaving so early, however there was an international strike, or ´paro´ and it included flight cancellations and blocking of the roads. It lasted from Tuesday and Wednesday and things were back to ´normal´on Thursday.
I am not really sure why the strike took place. Partly because of the governenmental control, raise in food prices, and possible entry of Ecuador and the United States? To be honest, I don´t know, but it was very interesting and I took some great photos. There wasn´t too much anti-american sentiment, so I felt quite safe.
I feel sad to have left the casa. I feel like there is so much left to do, but I know that I alone cannot do everything. Things didn´t exactly pan out as anticipated, but the experience was just that... an experience. There were highs (the love of the children and señoritas) and lows (feeling culturally outcasted by europeans), but in retrospect, I loved every single bit of it. I leave having learned new things about myself, other cultures, and how to deal with other people. More importantly, it has driven me to want to further help and support those who are struggling within our own country, because they need the help as well.
Oh, and the video is online! Go to: www.americatv.com.pe and click on CUARTO PODER on the bottom right hand corner. When the new page opens, on the bottom, you will see something about Los Gorriones and a picture of a man (Gil) with children on his lap! Click on it! I hope you enjoy!
I am off to hike Machu Pichu this next week with Rick and my brother, Lee. It should be amazing! I will post more pictures upon my return.
Love to all of you. I will be back on the 23rd of July :) Be safe!
Lauren
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
(la casualidad hizo que llegara a tu blog)
Hiciste mucho en Ayacucho, Lauren, y se te agradece.
Saludos desde Arequipa,
Rafael
Si necesitan algún tipo de ayuda en mi ciudad, solo tienes que enviarme un mensaje. Lo haré encantado.
----------------
ra1895@gmail.com
Post a Comment